Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ruffle Leg Shorts


This is the first tutorial for my "You are my sunshine" outfit. My ruffle bottom shorts were inspired by these shorts I saw from the Gap:

I didn't gather the pockets (wasn't quite sure how) and left out the bow, but otherwise, I think they turned out pretty similar. Want to make them? Read on...


Pattern
You are welcome to download my pattern here. It is size 3-4T. If not you can use any shorts pattern, and add the ruffles on the bottom, instead of hemming. For my pattern add 1/2 an inch seam allowance!

What you will need
1/2 yard of knit fabric

Cutting
Cut out two front pieces, two back pieces, two of each pocket pieces, two very long strips (as long as your fabric) 2" wide
Cut a strip 24" by 3" for the waist band

Sewing
First we are going to make the pockets on the front pieces. Pin your rounded pocket piece to your front piece at the rounded part, right sides together and stitch along the rounded part. Snip the rounded part. Fold the pocket piece to the back of the shorts piece and topstitch along the rounded part.


Now flip your shorts piece over and place the full pocket piece on the rounded pocket piece, right sides together, matching up the rounded part. Sew the two pieces together on the rounded part. Make sure you just sew together the pocket pieces, not the pants piece.


Pin the front piece to the back piece and sew the side seams. Make sure that the pockets are lying flat.

Sew the inseams.

Turn one piece right side out and insert it into the piece that has the wrong side out. Match up the center seam and sew together.

Take your two long strips and fold them in half on the long side. Press. Ruffle your strips.

Cut your strips to be 18.5" each. Sew together each strip to form a loop (half inch seam allowance). 

Sew the loop to the bottom of the leg, lining up the raw edges. Flip the ruffles down and topstitch around the leg.



Fold your waist band to form a loop and sew together on the short side. Fold the loop on the long side and pin to top of shorts, lining up the raw edges. Sew the band, leaving a 2" space open to thread your elastic.



Measure your child's waist and cut elastic accordingly. Thread the elastic through the casing and then sew it together on the short sides. Sew together the little opening.



Aren't these shorts cute! I am going to make a whole bunch in different colors!



13 comments:

  1. I have been scouring the net for something like this! My granddaughters thank you....and this memaw too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super tutorial. Sounds silly, but I've been meaning to add ruffles to some of my gym shorts:) Give them a girly summer look. Pinned New follow. Follow back at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/02/lombard-gable.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your shorts are cuter than the ones from the Gap. I'm not sure why that is... the proportions are just a bit different or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharring, I love this shorts:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute!!!! I will have to bookmark this for my little one. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your pants and have a daughter turning 4 in months, so... let's sew!!!
    Tx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute shorts!!! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure I need to make some of these for my girls for the summer. Comfortable and cute - perfect combination! I'll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks for linking up!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, a comprehensive, easy to follow tutorial, Mia and the shorts are SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are super cute! I would love you to come join my Pin Me Linky Party that starts in a few minutes at 8am CST. I allow up to 3 links each week! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh they would be fun in a slew of bright colors! Great idea, and nice tutorial.

    ReplyDelete